Household Items Cover - Up to R5000
Exclusions – What is not covered
IMPORTANT: Superficial damage, like scratches and dents, that leave an item in a usable condition is not covered under this policy.
- Property that is more specifically insured, any other policy;
- Loss or damage arising from claims occurring outside the countries set out in this policy;
- Property, whether it is processed or not, obtained with the purpose of disposing of it in a business transaction;
- Money, securities for money, deeds, bonds, bills of exchange, promissory notes, negotiable and other documents, stamps, manuscripts, rare books, medals and coins;
- Vehicles, watercraft (excluding surfboards, kite boards, paddle skis, kayaks, canoes, surf skis, windsurf boards, sailboards and model boats), aircraft, other aerial devices (excluding model aircraft), and all tools, spare parts and accessories of these vehicles, aircraft or watercraft that are on, in or attached to it;
- Loss or damage from or relating to any exchange, cash or credit sale agreement, including theft under false pretense and fraud;
- Loss or damage to property in the open caused by storm, water, wind, hail or snow unless the insured property is designed to exist in the open;
- The cost of reproduction or repair of data of any kind;
- Theft or attempted theft while your private residence is lent, let or sublet to a tenant; and
- Loss, damage or breakage covered by a manufacturer’s purchase agreement, guarantee or service contract.
Also note the following will not be covered under Household Items:
Loss or damage caused by any process which uses or applies water;
Loss or damage caused by wear and tear;
Loss or damage caused by gradual deterioration;
Loss or damage caused by mildew, rust or corrosion.
Unspecified All Risk (Moveable, non-household items) - Up to R3000
Exclusions – What is not covered
This cover is mostly here for clothing items and other items commonly taken in and out of your home. Items like money, electronics (cellphones) and jewelry, fall under Specified All Risk, which aren’t covered under this policy and should be covered under your own insurance, if applicable.
- The costs of replacing, reinstating or making good wear and tear, gradual deterioration, scratching or other superficial damage to outer casings, aerials or keypads. This means that if the item still works/is still functional then no cover will be offered.
- Any loss or damage during the hire or loan of your ALL RISK to another person.
- Loss of or damage to your ALL RISK resulting from theft or any attempt thereat from any unattended vehicle, unless the vehicle is locked and the ALL RISK is in a concealed compartment or boot. Any such loss must involve forcible and violent entry into the vehicle.
- Loss or damage to batteries, other than when they are stolen or lost together with your ALL RISK.
- Consequential loss of any kind whatsoever. This means that there will be no cover for any losses experienced as a result of a damaged or stolen item.
- Loss of or damage to accessories.
- Loss of or damage to your ALL RISK arising from or contributed to by gross negligence or wilful conduct by you.
- Loss or damage arising from a manufacturer's defect.
- Loss or damage resulting from political or non-political riot, strike or civil commotion, public disorder, war, invasion, terrorism or public violence or which is insurable by SASRIA (South African Special Risks Insurance Association) is excluded from this cover.
Very Important: Jewelry and electronics (cellphones) fall under Specified ALL RISK which is not covered by this policy and should be covered by your own personal home insurance.
In the event of a claim you will be required to supply the below items to SureStart (as communicated in the terms of the insurance policy):
- Details of other insurance covering the same event
- Written details of the event unless otherwise instructed
- Information and proof in support of the claim. This may include a case number in the event of theft ; photographs and/or damage reports in the event of damage. Documents or details of any communication in connection with the claim. [Any damaged/broken item must not be thrown away as you may need to provide this to the insurers as part of the assessment and for salvage]
Should you be unable to supply the above items, we cannot guarantee that your claim can be raised/assessed/paid out.