Each year, we survey domestic workers across South Africa, and more recently, across Africa. SweepSouth is Africa’s leading online platform for connecting domestic workers to homeowners. Core to SweepSouth's mission is promoting the improvement of working conditions within the domestic work sector. Annually this report is created to shed light on the industry.
These annual reports have sought to highlight the lived financial realities and changing conditions within the domestic work industry in South Africa. Each year we increase this scope to focus on other areas and items that are impacting this industry.
In order to generate these insights, questions relating to pay, working conditions and general well-being are circulated to a large number of domestic workers, some working on the SweepSouth platform and some not. The responses are recorded and analysed and offers the most robust view to date of the reality of the domestic worker industry across South Africa as well as other African countries.
- The 2023 report: https://bit.ly/3E6u6eK
- The 2022 report (including Kenya): https://bit.ly/3JQIkTd
- The 2021 report (including Kenya and Nigeria): https://bit.ly/3dnISDJ
- The 2020 report: https://bit.ly/3pgc56o
- The 2019 report: http://bit.ly/2MWKfvx
- The 2018 report: http://bit.ly/2MbdAB9
- Click on the above links to visit our blog where you will be able to download the full reports